Study abroad in France

Study abroad in France

To study abroad in France, discover the French university system, needed qualifications, how to use, fees, scholarships, accommodation, and trainee life.

If you’re aiming to study abroad, higher education  in France attracts many worldwide students. With top-quality French universities, and specialized schools using a large range obviously at small fees. It’s not a surprise that France brings in a quarter of a million foreign students. They study abroad in France every year.

More than 287,000 worldwide students pertain to study abroad at France’s universities and higher education institutions every year, making it the fourth most popular trainee research study destination abroad after the United States, UK, and Australia. A third of French PhD are granted to students from outside France, and practically half of all scholastic papers are co-authored with a minimum of one foreign colleague.

France is dedicated to a policy of treating French and worldwide students similarly, with similar and really low tuition charges for courses resulting in national diplomas (degrees), and the same access to benefits, such as housing help and health insurance

This this guide to studying in France:

  1. Top universities in France
  2. Higher education in France
  3. Types of universities in France
  4. Qualifications awarded in France
  5. Exchange programmers, grants and scholarships in France
  6. Applying to a French university
  7. Foreign qualifications and accreditation
  8. Language abilities for admission to a French university
  9. Cost of studying in France
  10. Trainee lodging in France
  11. French visas to live and study in France
  12. Working while you’re a trainee in France
  13. Tips on trainee life in France

List of top French universities

Top universities in France

French universities are of a high Comments 0 Comments in moderation quality. In the Times Higher Education World University Rankings 2014-15, France had two universities in the top 100. . An additional five universities are within the top 200: Pierre and Marie Curie University (103 ), Paris-Sud University (120 ), École Normale Superieure de Lyon (160 ), Joseph Fourier University (178) and Paris-Diderot University-Paris 7 (180 ).

Study abroad: Higher education in France

There are around 36,000 different programmers and courses available at undergraduate and post-graduate levels in French universities. Some undergraduate programmers and a large number of post-graduate programmers are taught a minimum of partly in English. You can discover a list of more than 1,000 programs taught in English. You can likewise find out more about studying in Paris.

Each organization sets its calendar but the academic year starts typically between 15 September and 1 October and ends at the end of June/beginning of July. There are holidays around Christmas/New Year, February and April, in addition to public holidays in France.

Qualifications awarded in France.

French degree courses at universities follow the Bologna SECTS (European Credit Transfer and accumulation System). Under the system, one credit corresponds to the trainee workload needed to complete the course modules effectively; these credits can be accumulated and transferred. There are three levels of national diplomas  awarded in France:

Licence (equivalent to the Bachelor’s degree)– three years, 180 ECTS.

Master’s degrees, which are divided into ‘research’, for those who wish to progress onto a doctorate (PhD), or ‘expert’, for those who want to get in the office after graduation– two years, 120 ECTS.

National doctoral degrees (PhD)– 3 years, 180 ECTS.

In the grandes écoles trainees have 2 years of the preparatory research study (CPGE or prépa) in a grande école or other schools before sitting entryway examinations for three-year programmers at one or more of the grandes écoles. At the end of the five years, trainees are awarded their school’s diploma, which is the equivalent of a Master’s degree.

Exchange programmers, grants and scholarships in France

There are lots of grants and scholarships available to international trainees, from license as much as post-doctorate levels.

The French Ministry of Foreign and European Affairs offers grants to international trainees, either through the Ministry or through the cultural departments of French embassies and consulates worldwide. For example, the Eiffel Excellence Scholarship Programmed offers scholarships in engineering, science, economics and law at Masters and PhD levels.

France is signed up to the Erasmus program, an EU effort which allows trainees from one European nation to study or acquire work experience in another. The Erasmus Mundus program is open to non-Europeans, with grants for Master’s, Doctoral and unique partnership jobs. To find out more, see Erasmus+ France.

The French Ministry of Higher Education and Research offers grants to foreign students who have resided in France for a minimum of 2 years and whose house for tax purposes in France, plus for a doctoral and post-doctoral research study.

Regional councils award grants to students registered in regional institutions in some cases in collaboration with a public research study body, such as the Center National DE la Recherche Scientifique (CNRS) or a private business.

There may be other grants available under exchange contracts with universities outside France; trainees typically have to already be registered at the university in the house nation and chosen for an award. Specific universities may likewise offer financial assistance themselves; ask at the university’s international workplace.

American trainees might have the ability to study in France on a grant through the Fulbright US Student Program.

To find out more and to look for a grant or scholarship suited to you, see the CampusBourses database.

Applying to a French university.

The treatment you follow depends on your nationality, where you presently live and what and where you want to study in France. You can apply to as numerous universities as you like.

EU/EEA trainees.

If you’re an EU or EEA nationwide, you can use straight to the university of your choice using the same online post-baccalaureate process as French trainees: Admission post-bac or APB.

Students from outside the EU/EEA.

  • Online ‘CEF’ treatment.

Students from 33 countries have to use the online ‘CEF’ treatment offered by the federal government firm Campus France to apply to a French university and get a trainee visa. Campus France uses details and recommendations of various university programmers and your application procedure and will process your application, validate your qualifications and schedule language tests. They likewise have around the world workplaces you can go to.

  • Applying to other institutions.

If you want to register at an institution besides a university or institute of technology, then you need to utilize the online Admission post-bac or APB treatment, even if your nation is noted above.

  • Applying from other countries.

If your nation is not on the list, and you want to go enter at the first or second level of university (license) or first year of a health or architecture degree, you must submit an application for initial admission (demande d’admission préalable or DAP) to the cultural service of the French embassy or consulate in your house nation. The DAP procedure begins in January of each year.

For any other university-level course (e.g. a Master’s) you can use straight to a French university utilizing the online Admission post-bac or APB procedure.

Foreign qualifications and accreditation: what qualifications do you require?

Each university and other higher education organization sets its admission criteria for its programmers and makes decisions based on a person’s instructional background and the requirements of the program.

To enroll for a Bachelor’s degree at a French university, you need to typically hold a baccalaureate or the equivalent foreign school-leaving certificate, such as the International Baccalaureate (IB), British A levels or the US High School Diploma.

To be admitted to a Master’s program in France, you usually need to hold a Bachelor’s degree. To find out more about the acknowledgement of foreign university qualifications, see ENIC-NARIC France.

Language abilities for admission to a French university.

Most undergraduate courses are taught in French, and you will require a minimum of an intermediate level of French. You may be requested for evidence of your language abilities, such as the B2 (intermediate) certificate in the Diplôme d’Études en Langue Française (DELF) or sometimes the C1 (sophisticated) certificate Diplôme approfondi de Langue Française (DALF), or be asked to sit a language test. To find out more on French language courses and assessments, see the CIEP site.

Otherwise, there are a large number of courses at a postgraduate level designed for English-speaking students. You can find a list of them here.

Cost of studying in France.

International students pay the very same tuition costs as French trainees. The French federal government subsidies state higher education so costs are incredibly low in French universities. The 2014-15 yearly tuition charges at state educational institutions as set down by law are:

  • EUR 189.10 for license courses.
  • EUR 261.10 for Master’s courses.
  • EUR 396.10 for doctoral courses.
  • EUR 615.10 for courses causing the diplôme d’ingénieur (engineering diploma).

Tuition costs are much higher at private organizations, especially service and management schools, and are usually between EUR 3,000 and 10,000 annually. Leading management schools can charge up to EUR 30,000 a year.

You have to support yourself while you’re studying in France: permit a month-to-month spending plan of around EUR 1,000 in Paris and EUR 800 somewhere else.

Student accommodation in France.

University homes (Citiés-U) both on school and in towns are handled by regional student-services companies called CROUS/CNOUS. They are the least expensive form of student real estate (around EUR 120 monthly for a single room), and you’ll require a guarantor. You stand the best opportunity of protecting a space if you hold a French federal government grant, are on an exchange programmed, or you’re in your 2nd year of a Master’s or doctoral course.

You’ll discover private trainee structures near a lot of universities in France, with centers including standard rooms, snack bars, laundry, staffed front desks, garage spaces, and even housemaid services. Rents are around EUR 600– 700 monthly in Paris or EUR 400– 700 each month somewhere else, and you will need a guarantor. You can also rent privately. Contact the university housing office and trainee service, or CROUS.

Grandes écoles and some private institutions have on-campus trainee lodging, with leas around EUR 250– 350 monthly.

You may have the ability to apply for a grant to help pay for accommodation through CAF (Allocations Families).

French visas to live and study in France.

Students from the EU/EEA do not need a visa to come and study at a French university. Still, practically everybody else will if you are applying through the CEF procedure (see above), they will arrange your visa for you. If you are not, you will likewise need to organize a visa through your French embassy/consulate when you have an offer of a place from the university. You’ll need to reveal evidence of your scholastic qualifications, research study strategies, efficiency in the French language (if appropriate) and show that you have sufficient funds to support you while you’re studying in France– around EUR 615 each month.

For the very first year of your studies, the visa is evidence of your residency status, although you will still need to sign up with the immigration office after you show up. From the second year onward you have to make an application for a Carte de Sejour. For additional information, see Expatica’s guide to French trainee visas and authorizations.

Everybody needs health insurance that is valid in France. Learn more about the requirements for health insurance in France.

After you show up in France to start your research studies, you need to sign up at the university at the beginning of the academic year to finish your enrollment. You’ll be asked to enroll in the national trainee health plan (social security) and be given your student ID.

Working while you’re a student in France.

Students from within the EU/EEA can take on paid employment together with their studies without limitation, as long as your university takes part in the student health care strategy (social security).

Everyone else can work as long as they have a French residence authorization. Students can work a maximum of 964 hours a year. Graduates from Master’s programmers or above can request a non-renewable approval to stay in France for an additional year, working under the same conditions. See French trainee visas and permits.

Tips on trainee life in France.

Students in disciplines such as the arts or liberal arts might find that there are many more classes to go to at a French university compared to a university back house. Lectures can start at 8 am and last for three hours without a break.

Exams can be more about remembering info given in lectures instead of independent learning.

It’s not unusual for trainees to need to repeat a year (redoublement) if results aren’t as much as a scratch.

A lot of French students choose to go to a university in their region and lots of going home at weekends.

List of leading French universities.


  • École Polytechnique.
  • École Normale Superieure.
  • Pierre and Marie Curie University.
  • Paris-Sud University.
  • Paris-Diderot University-Paris 7.
  • Mines ParisTech.
  • Sciences Po Paris.
  • University of Paris-Sorbonne Paris IV.
  • University of Paris 1 Panthéon-Sorbonne.
  • University of Paris Descartes.
  • École des Ponts ParisTech.
  • École Normale Superieure de Cachan.
  • University Paris Dauphine.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *